There is a lot about a damp and wet basement that you should be worried about. It is common for people not to think much of the humidity in the air, or the musty smell, even though they should. If left in that state, the walls, floor, foundation, and property in there shall get destroyed. You need to be more worried about the mold and mildew growth that will ensue.
If you let your family keep breathing the mold spores, they will get respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. If you do not see anything strange in the basement, do not convince yourself it is safe, as long as it is damp. You get to be sure only after hiring a professional mold inspection and removal service.
Visible signs of mold growth include a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. You can also tell when you detect a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. This is why you need to call in the experts to do the testing. A test shall let you know what to do next. You are better off not finding any than assuming there is none.
Mold testing shall not only look for their presence, but it shall also determine how extensive their spread is the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They shall inspect every corner and get samples. They will also take samples of the air for detection of spores. This is done also in other parts of the house. They will then proceed to the lab to do the analysis. You shall get a comprehensive report of what you are dealing with after a while.
Should they detect the presence of mold, they shall proceed to offer the mold removal services. They get to offer that service fast before things get out of hand. The first thing they do is seal off the contaminated areas. They will next spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If they find items that are too contaminated, they will have to get rid of them.
You need to find a way to get rid of the mold in the house. There is a need to put preventative measures in place, so that it does not happen again. This calls for ensuring the basement is moisture free, and the house is well ventilated. When you see signs of mold presence, make a point of calling in the professionals. There is no better alternative.